Ultimate football quiz – answers
Click here to see the quiz without the answers
1. Which Scottish football were named after an English rugby team?
Rangers (after the clubs founding fathers saw the name in a book and decided they liked it)
2. Giuseppe Wilson won 3 international football caps for which country?
Italy (although he was born in Darlington)
3. With 109 goals, Ali Daei is the leading all time goal scorer in international football, but for which country did he play?
4. Which player scored a hat-trick in the Charity Shield for the reigning champions before winning the title with the team he scored against later the same season?
Eric Cantona, for Leeds v Man Utd
5. Which Premier League clubs haver these Latin inscriptions on their badges?
a) Nil satis nisi optimum – Everton
b) Superbia in proelia – Manchester City
c) Audere est facere – Tottenham Hotspur
d) Arte et labore – Blackburn Rovers
6. Which are the 8 English towns or cities that could host league derby matches (assuming both teams were in the same division)?
London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham, Stoke
7. ESPN presenter Ray Stubbs was on the books of which English club?
8. Which team boasts the biggest pitch in the Premier League at 116 x 77 yards?
9. How is the song “Offside” by Barry Stroller better known?
The theme tune of Match of the Day
10. Name the 5 English players who have cost over £7 million each but have never played for England.
Dean Richards, Carl Cort, Kevin Davies, Dean Ashton, Nigel Reo-Coker
11. There are 2 current football league teams with an X in their name. Who are they?
Exeter City and Crewe Alexandra
12. Which is the only English league club whose name contains no letters which can be ‘coloured in’?
13. What is the biggest city in the UK never to have had a league team?
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
14. What do the following shirts have in common: West Ham’s No. 6, Man City’s No. 23 and Chelsea’s No. 25?
They have all been retired. West Ham for Bobby Moore, City for Marc-Vivien Foe and Chelsea for Gianfranco Zola
15. For whom did Pele and Bobby Moore play together?
The Allies in Escape to Victory
16. Which English league team’s name starts with 5 consonants?
17. Which team’s ground is closest to the River Mersey?
Stockport County’s Edgeley Park
18. Which British team’s ground is in two countries?
Chester City’s Deva Stadium
19. Who is the only player who has scored a hat-trick in all of the top 4 English divisions, the League Cup, the FA Cup and for their country?
20. Name the four Scottish towns that have more than one league club.
Glasgow (Rangers and Celtic), Edinburgh (Hearts and Hibs), Dundee (Dundee and Dundee Utd) and Falkirk (Flakirk and East Stirlingshire)
21. Name the five teams in the top 4 English divisions whose names end in ‘E’?
Crystal Palace, Plymouth Argyle, Port Vale, Rochdale and Dagenham & Redbridge
22. Name the 4 teams in the top 4 English divisions whose names start and end with the same letter.
Liverpool, Aston Villa, Charlton Athletic and Northampton Town
23. Which 4 teams in the top 4 English divisions have names containing all 5 vowels?
Hartlepool United, Rotherham United, Torquay United, Rushden and Diamonds.
24. The 1982 Southampton team included Mick Channon, Alan Ball, Peter Shilton, Kevin Keegan, Mark Wright and Dave Watson. What do all these players have in common?
They all captained England
25. Which English team has been champions of Europe more times than they’ve been champions of England?
Nottingham Forest – won the league in 1978, then the European Cup in 1979 giving them qualification for the 1980 tournament, which they won again.
26. Which English clubs are farthest north, south, east and west?
North – Newcastle, South and West – Plymouth Argyle, East – Norwich City
27. Which current Premiership player has played in the all 4 of the top English divisions, the Conference, Champions League, UEFA Cup and La Liga in Spain?
Steve Finnan (Welling, Birmingham City, Notts County, Fulham, Liverpool, Espanyol, Portsmouth)
28. St Johnstone can stake which alphabetical footballing claim?
They are the only professional team in England or Scotland with a J in their name.
29. Who is the only player to have scored in the Mersyeside, Manchester and Glasgow derbies?
30. What do the following players have in common: Laurie Brown, David Jenkins, Willie Young, Jimmy Robertson, Pat Jennings and Sol Campbell?
They have played in the North London derby for both sides.
31. Which seven clubs have played in the Premier League in every season since its inception?
Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Everton and Aston Villa
32. What do the following players have in common: Paul Scholes, Paul Ince, David Beckham, Trevor Cherry, Alan Mullery, Ray Wilkins, Wayne Rooney, David Batty and Alan Smith?
They are the only players to have been sent off whilst playing for England
33. Which six teams have done the double in England?
Preston North End (1889), Aston Villa (1897), Tottenham Hotspur (1961), Arsenal (1971, 1998, 2002), Liverpool (1986) and Manchester United (1994, 1996, 1999)
34. Name the two players who have played in every season of the Premier League?
Ryan Giggs and David James
35. Who’s the only player to have scored in a Champions League Final, UEFA Cup Final, FA Cup Final and League Cup Final?
36. Which current Premier League player is the only player to have won the Champions League, UEFA Cup, Premier League and FA Cup, and also been relegated from the Premier League?
Kanu (Ajax, Inter Milan, Arsenal and Portsmouth)
37. Who is the only born and bred Scouser to have won the FA Cup with Liverpool and Everton?
38. Which English League club did Ian Botham play for?
39. Which player scored the first ever Premier League goal to be screened on live TV?
40. Name the three players who have scored hat-tricks for three different Premier League teams.
Kevin Campbell (Arsenal, Nottm Forest, Everton), Les Ferdinand (QPR, Newcastle, Tottenham) and Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham, Man Utd, Portsmouth)
41. Not including any United’s, name the 3 English or Scottish league teams that have two ‘U’s’ in their name.
Bournemouth, Stenhousemuir, Queen of the South
42. Which player has played in all of the following derbies: Munich, Merseyside, North London, Milan and Tyne-Tees?
43. Which English league team’s name contains none of the letters in ‘mackerel’?
44. Within the English league, which geographical distinction is held by West Bromwich Albion’s ground?
It is the highest ground above sea level
45. Which two English teams were the first two to play each other in the league for the 100th time?
Aston Villa and Everton
46. Which current Premier league manager was the worlds first £2million pound player?
47. Who was the first goalkeeper to score in the Premier League?
48. Who is the only Scottish player ever too have been named as European Footballer of the Year?
Denis Law (1964)
49. Who won the golden boot in the 1990 World Cup despite having only played one game for his country prior to the World Cup?
Salvatore ‘Toto’ Schillachi
50. Of all teams in the English leagues, which one has the shortest name?